Did you read that? Are you drooling?
I found a recipe on Pinterest, of course, and after some adjustments, I made this buffalo style quinoa for Dan and I last night – it turned out incredible!
I’ll post the original recipe and then cross off what I didn’t use or do.
Spicy Buffalo Chicken Quinoa
Original post from Half Baked Harvest
- 1 cup quinoa (I used 1.5)
- 3 cups water
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast (cut into bite size pieces)
- 1.5 cup broccoli florets
3/4 cup shredded carrots 3/4 cup shredded cabbage 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles, plus more for garnish(I used feta) 4 green onions chopped, save half for garnish(I used yellow onion)
**I think shredded carrot would be really good, but I just used what I had on hand.**
1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup hot sauce – I recommend Franks (I used Sweet Baby Rays Buffalo Sauce)
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- In a medium pot, combine quinoa and water. Bring to a boil, then cover and turn heat to low. Cook until all the water is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat, fluff the quinoa with a fork.
- While the quinoa is cooking make the buffalo sauce dressing (oil + sauce) and also cook the chicken.
- Heat a medium size skillet over medium high heat add a tablespoon of olive oil and saute onion for about 5 minutes and then add the broccoli. Don’t steam it – you want it to just start to soften, but still be crisp. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- When the quinoa is ready add the chicken, broccoli/onion and as much of the dressing as desired and toss well. Add the feta cheese on top. (It would be fine with out the cheese, just extra calories..I wouldn’t miss it). Serve warm.
I had leftovers for lunch…just as good!!
This will be a repeat meal for sure.
Other foods this week include:
Lot’s of salads, Shakeology (not pictured), bananas with coffee in the morning, and several snacks – either grapes, or hard boiled eggs and banana.
The salad pictured above had greens, tomatoes, leftover chicken fajita meat and peppers with a salsa and ranch dressing. Typically for the dressing I’d use salsa with greek yogurt, but I didn’t have any on hand.
Weekly Workout Schedule
Monday – Still recovering from the wedding
Tuesday – CX LEAN Circuit 1
Wednesday – FitZone < can’t wait!
Thursday – CX LEAN Circuit 2 + Insanity Pure Cardio
Friday – Insanity Plyo
Saturday – ZoneUp (30 min cardio, 30 min weights, 30 min spin)
Sunday – Rest or Insanity if I feel motivated
Be back tomorrow or Friday. Have a great week. We’re over the hump!