I woke up yesterday with a strong urge to bake something with pumpkin. After a quick Google search, I found these yummy muffins which I made a few adjustments to in hopes of making them a tad healthier. I topped some with chopped nuts and some with a brown sugar glaze. They turned out better then I could have imagined and they are perfect for Fall!
Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins
Adapted from pumpkinrecipes.org
You will need:
-1 1/2 cups whole grain pastry flour
-1/2 cup sugar
-2 tsp. baking powder
-1/2 tsp. cinnamon
-1/2 tsp. salt
-1 cup soy milk
-1/2 cup pumpkin puree (plus a little more)
-1/4 cup Earth Balance Buttery Spread
-1 medium egg
-bag mini chocolate chips
-1/4 cup chopped nuts (I used peanuts and pecans)
-1/2 cup brown sugar
-1/4 cup milk
-3 T. butter
-1 cup powdered sugar
-3/4 tsp. vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
3. Form a well in the center.
4. In a small bowl, combine milk, pumpkin, butter andegg. Add to the well in the flour mixture and stir until lightly mixed.
5. Add chocolate chips and stir until the mixture is moistened.
6. Spoon mixture into greased muffin cups, filling each 3/4 full. Sprinkle half the batch with nuts and leave half plain for glaze.
7. Bake for 20 minutes, then remove from oven and cool.
For the Glaze:
1. Combine brown sugar, milk, and butter in a small saucepan; bring to a boil and remove from heat.
3. Pour glaze over muffins and let sit for 20 minutes to harden.